|June 2007 – Present||Plastic Surgeon – Private Practice Specializing in Facial Rejuvenation, Breast and Abdomen Procedures|
|February 2003 – Present||Assistant Professor |
Dept. of Surgery, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Medical University of South Carolina , Charleston SC
|July 2001 – January 2003||Assistant Professor |
Dept. of Surgery, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
University of Florida, Gainesville FL
Director, Microsurgery Lab
|Fellowship||Jackson Memorial Hospital –– University of Miami |
Miami FL | Plastic Surgery
|Residency||Medical University of South Carolina –– |
Charleston SC | General Surgery
|Research||Medical University of South Carolina –- |
Charleston SC | Department of Surgery
|Internship||Medical University of South Carolina –– |
Charleston SC | General Surgery
|Medical Degree||University of South Alabama –– Mobile AL |
Doctor of Medicine–AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha)
Only honor available for medical students
|Undergraduate||University of Mobile –- Mobile AL |
Bachelor of Science, Biology–Cum Laude
|Florida||ME 82492 (inactive)|
|South Carolina||ME17305 (1994)|
|American Board of Surgery||2000|
|American Board of Plastic Surgery||2002|
|Undergraduate||cum Laude Graduate |
Division Award in Natural Sciences (Awarded to top graduating senior)
Alpha Chi Honor Society
|Medical School||AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) |
Tuition Waiver , 1992, 1993
Russell Memorial Scholarship 1992, 1993
|Quality Assurance Quality Improvement (QAQI) |
February 2002-January 2003
GMEC (7-2004 to present)
Patient Care Committee (Feb 2003-Present)
American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, 2006-2007, Best Paper
American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, 2006-2007, Educational Grant
|Undergraduate||National Science Foundation|
|Undergraduate Summer Research Fellow, 1988 |
(Department of Pharmacology , Univ. of South Alabama)
Summer Research Program, Univ. of South Alabama
Dept. of Pathology & Biochemistry , 1990
|Residency||Department of Surgery |
Medical University of South Carolina , 1994
- Scammel J, Scott MG, 0 Seung-Jun, et al. Characterization of monoclonal antibodies against ovine prolact in. The Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry , 38:117-122, 1990.
- Funkhouser JD, Tanga SD, 0 Seung-Jun, et al. P146 Type II Alveolar epithelial antigen is identical to aminopeptidase N. American Journal of Physiology, Lung Cellular Molecular Physiology, 260 :274-279 , 1991.
- 0 Seung-Jun, Cox MH, Mukherjee R, Clair MJ, Crawford FA, Spinale FG. Direct and interactive effects of cardioplegic arrest and protamine on myocyte contractility . Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 62:489-494 , 1996.
- 0 Seung-Jun, Zellner JL, Cox MH, Hebbar L, Brothers TE, Mukherjee R, Tempel GE, Dorman HB, Crawford FA, Spinale FG. Contributory mechanisms for the beneficial effects of myocyte preconditioning following cardioplegic arrest. Circulation , 94:389-397, 1996.
- Cox MH, 0 Seung-Jun, Clair MJ, Mukherjee R,Wakefield TW , Andrews PC, Crawford FA, Spinale FG. Differential effects of novel protamine variants on myocyte contractile function with left ventricular failure . Surgery, 121:304-313 , 1997.
- Cox MH, 0 Seung-Jun, Hebbar L, Mukherjee R, Crawford FA, Spinale FG. Protective and dose dependent effects of adenosine and myocyte contractile processes during simulated cardioplegic arrest. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 63:981-987 , 1997.
- Cox MH, 0 Seung-Jun, de Gasparo M, Mukherjee R, Hewett l<W , Spinale FG. Myocardial electrophysiological properties in the presence of an AT 1 Ang-II angiotensin II receptor antagonist. Basic Research Cardiology, 92:129-138, 1997.
- 0 Seung-Jun, Cox MH, Crawford FA, Spinale FG. Protein kinase C activation prior to cardioplegic arrest: Beneficial effects on myocyte contractility. Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery, Oct. 114(4):651-659 , 1997.
- Saad D, Mukherjee R, Thomas PB, lannini JP, Basler CG, Hebbar L, 0 SJ, Moreland S, Webb ML, Powell JR, Spinale FG. The effects of endothelin-A receptor blockade during the progression of pacing-induced congestive heart failure . Journal of American College of Cardiology, Nov. 15; 32(6):1779-1786 , 1998.
- 0 Seung-Jun, Thaller SR. Refinements in abdominoplasty . Clinics in Plastic Surgery, Jan. 29(1) :95-109 , 2002 .
- Cooper J, 0 Seung-Jun, Thaller SR. Case Report: Cleft palate closure in 18 month-old female with epidermolysis bullosa. J Cleft Palate Craniofac. Jan; 40(1):88-90 2003.
- 0 Seung-Jun, Thaller SR. Treatment of Nasal Trauma. (Book Chapter) Facial Trauma , Marcel Dekker, NY, NY (2004)
- Reyna R, 0 Seung-Jun, Evans Z, Campbell C, Fiorini R, Rodwell D, Chavin KO. Flaps in obese rats-A novel experimental model. J Am Coll Surg Sept 199 (3S): 66, 2004.
- Kreithen J, Woodberry K, 0 Seung-Jun. Soft tissue coverage of upper and middle third defects. (Book Chapter), Lower Extremity Trauma , Marcel Dekker, NY, NY (Published 2006)
- Reyna RE, Feldmann ME, Evans ZP, 0 Seung-Jun, Chavin KO: Obesity alters rat abdominal flap survival American Surgery 2006 Sept, 72(9): 764-71.
- Goddard, J.C., Karahatay, S., Hornig, J., Gillespie, M.B., Skoner, J., 0, S.J., O’Neill, P.J., and Day, T.: Utility of lowprofile locking plates in maxillary and mandibular reconstruction. Submitted for publication to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Barbour JR, Schweppe , 0 SJ. Lower Extremity Burn Reconstruction in the Child. Accepted for publication in Journal of Craniofacial Surgery.
- “Direct effects of protamine sulfate on myocyte function”, Smith Lecture, Department of Surgery , Medical University of South Carolina, September 29, 1995.
- “The direct and interactive effects of cardioplegic arrest with rewarming and prolamine on myocyte contractile function”, Annual Meeting of the South Carolina Chapter, American College of Surgeons, Greenville , SC, February 16-17, 1996. (151 Place in Resident’s Presentation)
- Spinale FG, de Gasparo M, Whitebread S, Hebbar L, Clair MJ, Melton OM, Krombach SR, Mukherjee R, 0 SeungJun. “Chronic combined angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition and angiotensin type-1 receptor blockade: Unique effects in congestive heart failure” , Sixty-ninth Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, New Orleans, LA, and November 1996.
- “The direct and interactive effects of cardioplegic arrest with rewarming and protamine on myocyte contractile function”, 45th Annual Scientific Session of the American College of Cardiology , Orlando , FL, March 24-27 , 1996.
- “Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy”, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston SC, May 15, 1999.
- “Chest Wall Reconstruction”, Division of Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, University of Miami, Miami FL, Jan. 6, 2000 .
- “Flexor Tendon Injuries”, Division of Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, University of Miami, Miami FL, May 31, 2000 .
- “Lower Extremity Reconstruction”, Division of Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, University of Miami, Miami FL, August 2, 2000.
- Herrmann GE, 0 Seung-Jun. “Cosmetic Surgery”, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, University of Florida, Gainesville FL, August 8, 2001.
- “Truncal Rejuvenation”, Department of OB/GYN Grand Rounds, University of Florida, Gainesville FL, November 16, 2001.
- “Facial Rejuvenation”, Geriatric Education Center, Multimedia presentation (CME literature, Audio cassette, Internet presentation) , University of Florida, January 2002 .
- Herrmann GE, 0 Seung-Jun . “Reconstruction of the Abdomen and Perineum”, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, University of Florida, Gainesville FL, March 6, 2002 .
- O Seung-Jun . “The Treatment of the Aging Face”, Department of Dermatology Grand Rounds, University of Florida, Gainesville FL, May 9, 2002.
- 0 Seung-Jun . “Microsurgery”, Department of Orthopedics Grand Rounds, University of Florida, Gainesville FL, May 15, 2002.
- 0 Seung-Jun. “Microsurgery”, Department of Surgery Basic Science Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville FL, June 13, 2002 .
- O Seung-Jun. “Breast Reconstruction”, Department of Radiation Oncology “Buddy Jenrette Lecture Series”, Medical University of South Carolina, August 19 2003 .
- 0 Seung-Jun . “Microsurgery”, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, Medical University of South Carolina , October 7, 2003 .
- 0 Seung-Jun . “Microsurgery”, American Society of Plastic Surgery Nurses: Southeastern Regional Meeting, Charleston , South Carolina, March 7, 2004
- Reyna R, 0 Seung-Jun. “Flaps is obese rats: A novel experimental flap model”, American College of Surgeons Surgical Forum, Philadelphia , PA October 2004
- 0 Seung-Jun . “Plastic Surgery after Gastric Bypass Surgery”, Lowcountry AHEC Healthcare Management of the Severely Obese Patient, Charleston, SC February 4, 2005
- 0 Seung-Jun . “Plastic Surgery after Gastric Bypass Surgery”, MUSC Gastric Bypass Support Group, Charleston , SC October 20, 2005
- Feldman ME, 0 Seung-Jun et al. “Evaluation of obesity in the rat skin flap: Its role and response to ischemiareperfusion injury. Southeastern Surgical Congress Annual Scientific Meeting, Orlando , FL Feb 18-21, 2006
- 0 Seung-Jun. “Abdominal Reconstruction”, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, Medical University of South Carolina , September 6, 2006 .
- Goddard J.C., Karahatay, S., Hornig, J., Gillespie, M.B., Skoner, J., 0, Seung-Jun ., O’Neill, P.J., and Day, T.: Utility of low-profile locking plates in maxillary and mandibular reconstruction. American Head and Neck Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 19, 2006
- Feldmann M, Evans Z, Ellett J, 0 Seung-Jun, Chavin KO. “Obesity Lowers Tolerance to lschemia-Reperfusion in the Rat Abdomina l Flap: A Novel Animal Model for Free TRAM Breast Reconstruction” American College of Surgeons 92nd Annual Clinical Congress Meeting, Chicago , Illinois, October 8-12, 2006
- 0 Seung-Jun “Abdominal Reconstruction” MUSC Annual Post Graduate Course in Surgery , Charleston , SC April 17, 2007.
Development Grant from the Program Planning Committee for the University of Florida Aesthetic Center. $123 ,000
Co-Investigator; Effects of Obesity on Surgical Flaps used for Breast Reconstruction, University Research Committee , Medical University of South Carolina. $ 19,000.
Co-Investigator; The effects of obesity on musculocutaneous flaps used for breast reconstruction , 9-01-06 to 3-31-08 , $330,000 ,American Cancer Society
(Submitted) Obesity and EGCG: Role in breast reconstruction post mastectomy, (R-21 grant) NIH
Principal Investigator, “McGhan Medical Corporation Silicone Filled Breast Implant Adjunct Clinical Study” , McGhan Medical Corporation, July 2002